Green Building Community

Hi-Velocity HVAC System for Modern Designed Homes

Matt Hoots GA, United States 4 Ratings 13 Discussions 7 Group posts

Posted by: Matt Hoots // SawHorse Design + Build

I worked with a high-velocity HVAC system attached to a ground source heat pump a decade ago.  We had to use this system because the architect did not leave us any room for ductwork, so the four-inch ducts that were part of the high-velocity system design were ideal for our project.

The client liked the system because the air diffusers were discreet and blended nicely with the other ceiling fixtures, such as can lights.

I even got a comment about the overall comfort of this house compared to their last house.  They said their energy bills were through the roof in the winter, yet they still had to wear several levels of clothing to stay warm.  With the LEED for Homes designed house, they could wear much less clothing in the Winter and have lower energy bills simultaneously!

The ducts are so small because they are under higher pressure, and the air is moving at a higher velocity than a standard system.  You still get the same amount of air through a smaller opening.

I got the rep for Hi-Velocity to explain how their systems work in better detail at this year's International Builder's Show. 

Please be kind and respectful!

Please make sure to be respectful of the organizations and companies, and other Rate It Green members that make up our community. We welcome praise and advice and even criticism but all posted content and ratings should be constructive in nature. For guidance on what constitutes suitable content on the Rate It Green site, please refer to the User Agreement and Site Rules.

The opinions, comments, ratings and all content posted by member on the Rate It Green website are the comments and opinions of the individual members who posts them only and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies or policies of Rate It Green. Rate It Green Team Members will monitor posted content for unsuitable content, but we also ask for the participation of community members in helping to keep the site a comfortable and open public forum of ideas. Please email all questions and concerns to admin@rateitgreen.com