Green Building Community

Finding Paths Forward: Ideas for When We Disagree in the Green Building Industry

Allison Friedman MA, United States 0 Ratings 101 Discussions 131 Group posts

Posted by: Allison Friedman // Rate It Green Admin

Moving Forward Through Disagreements in the Green Building Industry

It was energizing to receive quite a few positive responses to Rate It Green’s New Year’s email.  Some people were appreciative of our efforts to bring the green building community together, and there was also some awesome general well wishing and support, especially since we mentioned we are about to embark on a complete redesign of the platform.  One person mentioned that they recognized how long we’ve been working to make this vision a reality, since we all know it isn’t always easy being green!  I love those personal connections. Friendly people and a supportive spirit are one reason I truly enjoy working in the green building industry.  I am also of course passionate about our goal to reach a time when everyone will have a healthier, more sustainable building in which to live, work, learn - and play.  

Now, there was one pretty cranky email I received, and that’s ok. That email inspired a lot of thinking because it bugged me, and some in a good way.  I of course understand that not everyone wants to be on a mailing list. We’re all busy.  But this person felt the need to vent frustration about a “made up climate crisis.”  This surprised me, but look we don't have to all have the same beliefs to work together, and to accomplish great things. Perhaps this frustration was because we also talk at times about wider environmental concerns and legislation, and climate change challenges.  But so many of these topics also clearly relate, even directly, to green building - and all building.  Other than the fact that I don’t see climate change as a question, and I definitely see climate change and climate change mitigation as topics we must address in the building world, what troubled me was the idea that if we disagree, we need to break our connection entirely.  

I of course took this person off our news list, as requested.  But if he were here, there are a few things I’d like to say about what we might disagree about, and what I’d ask we do about it to keep advancing healthier and more sustainable buildings, together, as best and as fast as we can. 

1. Debate IS welcome. Feedback is also welcome.  We want input into how to make Rate It Green a supportive resource for everyone interested and involved in green building, personal or professionally.  If you disagree with something, let’s discuss.  That’s why the Rate It Green platform exists, because we can learn and accomplish so much more together.  Put another way: We don’t have to agree! 

2. I simply do not view environmental concern as partisan, or to some extent political at all.  Why should one side of the aisle own an issue that affects all of us, where there are so many possible win-win solutions, where we are also about to make such great progress?!!  And, where the consequences of inaction are so significant, even if we don’t fully agree on the causes.  I’d also add that Rate It Green is a market-based mechanism to promote more healthy and sustainable buildings, and to me at least, it’s all connected.  Put another way, the built environment is part of the environment. Disagree? Again, let’s discuss!  Also, see above.  We can solve problems and create solutions, even if we don’t agree 100% on the causes, or even all of the problems. 

3. I’d ask that people do not remove themselves entirely from the conversation. The table is open. If you don’t have a seat at this table, even as an observer, it’s really because you have removed yourself, or at least haven’t accepted the invitation.  And then we can’t continue to have the debate and learn from each other, and that’s my real disappointment in this situation, what inspired me to write.  

It’s completely ok if we don’t agree on everything, including “the problem," as long as we can keep talking and find some common ground, and coming up with positive advances and solutions.  And for that I really believe we need to keep innovating, and communicating, and educating as a group.  

As I mentioned in our most recent news and as you may have noted, we’ve reported quite a bit in recent months, and years now even, on decarbonization, electrification and indoor air quality, and more recently we’ve increasingly been covering air sealing and insulation and the building envelope.  We will continue to host and create content on these topics, and we will also keep reporting on the Inflation Reduction Act (IRA) and other policies and incentives we feel are related to building (and even some general climate news, like our attempt at understanding what COP28 achieved, or didn’t). Yes, these are a mix of more direct green building topics, and some wider environmental topics.  For me, they’re clearly related.  For someone else, global environmental challenges might be a stretch of what they want to hear about or talk about.  And that’s ok. I hope it’s a value that this is an open community.  But then I’d also push back.  As I often say and said in our most recent news, I want to hear from our community members what you’d like us to cover, and heck, I want you to write your thoughts or record and send along a video, and tell us what you think.  I’d consider it the biggest win if we received so much content my role became to try to keep up with sharing and promoting all of your thoughts out there. Actually, it’s my goal.  If you’ve read this far, let’s talk about what you’re open to sharing.  

I want to talk about and investigate the best in sustainable building products, services, and process, and I also want to look at this industry and also yes, our place in the wider global community.  I am concerned that consumers and end users haven’t been a sufficient part of the green building conversation, and I want to work on consumer education and demand growth.  I also think we should look at workforce development, as we don’t have enough up and coming talent in many trades to meet expected demand.  Am I an expert on all of these topics? No, and that’s the point.  If we each speak to what we know and what we care about, the sum of these parts will be truly amazing.  

I almost deleted this story because it sounds saccharine, but on the chance this can help anyone out there as a part of this conversation, I recall that quite a while ago at a major industry event when someone told me he liked the idea of sharing expertise and connecting, and he’d consider posting some thoughts in theory, but maybe he didn’t belong in an online-based green building community as sorry, he wasn’t really a tree hugger.  Actually, he told me he felt like a bit of a fake at this event, like everyone else cared more than he did.  He was a marketer for a pretty cool sustainable building product, and I assured him he didn’t need to be sorry, to me or anyone else. The thing is, his work was having an impact, on water efficiency and energy efficiency.  And the product contained a high percentage some recycled materials, too, as I recall.  He seemed to like his company and his job, and he was happy enough to be part of a sustainable industry. He just didn’t want to mislead people, it sounded like, that he went home and took long hikes while cleaning up the local forest or protested in his free time against pollution.  But I don’t think marketing a great product you’re proud of means you have to do that or you don’t “really belong.” That said, in all honesty, I think caring about the environment really shouldn’t annoy people who “just want to sell” more sustainable products either.  

We can also discuss what we mean by solutions, and solution size.  A step forward or better is just that, and it beats the alternative.  I don’t think the environment has to be partisan or particularly political, but I can also agree with a colleague that we don’t have to rely on politics (or being a tree hugger) to sell great items and services.  Concerned citizens are a growing part of the market to be sure.  But why not also focus on health and safety and savings while also reducing environmental impact?  “Selling the benefits” also works if someone doesn’t have a particular interest in the environment. Evolving technology can be cool, too.  I understand the idea that an environmental-based pitch or claim could turn off some buyers, but I personally hesitate to suggest literally avoiding sharing sustainability benefits.  I would rather work with people who share some environmental values, and yet I fully recognize we do not all have this luxury.  I fully get it.  And yet, literally avoiding the topic entirely can slow adoption and market growth, and can miss some buyers who do want those benefits (Quite a few years ago now, I asked for recycled tile, and a sales representative in a tile shop said they didn't have any... The salesperson checked back in later and said she checked and was shocked to learn that almost all of their glass tiles were recycled.  If I hadn't asked, they might have lost my sale, but also other people who would be happy to learn about the recycled content. This is an old story, but I am experiencing some similar challenges in furniture selection on a current project. This could be the basis for a whole other piece...)  Actually, I think finding our comfort in explaining and even selling environmental benefits, and across different projects with different clients, is a key topic we need to debate!  How many people have told me over the years that they fear pitching environmental features as they might lose the sale?  Let's all help each other out on this critical topic.  I know circumstances differ, and we have to respect different opinions, situations, and risks.  This is why we need to keep talking and working on tools and solutions to industry challenges.  

An induction stove might be the perfect example of many possible wins, and a product and concept we can approach from different angles if needed.  Even if you don’t spend a great deal of time thinking about fossil fuel reduction per se, induction stoves reduce fossil fuel use, while they also reduce burn risk and the health risks association with indoor combustion.  Induction cooking is also highly energy efficient, while the technology is faster to heat and offers more precision control.  Goodness, professional chefs are increasingly saying they prefer induction cooktops, and in a world where many of us grew up feeling we were inferior if we didn't have that amazing natural gas cooktop the fancy houses had...  Does someone who sells or buys an induction stove need to think about the legislation behind a financial installation incentive, or global environmental policy? No. Is it ok if these topics are also a part of our universe?  I think yes.  

As for solution size, installing one induction stove delivers one or more wins. Installing and converting a thousand induction stove or tens of thousands are just more wins, and they add up to greater benefits and also greater impact.  

So while I do think legislation or global agreements that support energy efficiency and clean energy and a just transition are incredibly exciting, I also think one install we can learn from is invaluable as well. On that note, I will soon be reporting on our home project to install VRF heat pumps - we will be healthier with our new ERV, we will reduce our energy bills by up to 30%, and we will also be reducing our fossil fuel use and emissions.  Win-win-win.  

The thing is, all of our situations and opinions are different, and we can still get so much done together.  There’s no need for anyone to judge or fear judgment from anyone else.  Keep in mind, the inspiration behind Rate It Green was when I tried and failed to “green” a personal project back in 2005. If I knew then, what I knew now… The thing is, there’s still so much work to do. It’s still not easy enough to find and learn all we need about product health and environmental impacts, and I see more solutions in the hundred and thousands of conversations we can start, and continue as the industry continues to evolve.  Ask me how long it took to find a HVAC company willing and expert enough to analyze my systems and install these heat pumps optimally.  Try to shop for sustainable home furnishings, including rugs from many retailers.  There’s more information out there than in the past, but too often the answer is insufficient or still even nonexistent. I worry that if it’s a struggle for someone who runs a green building website, it’s not going any easier for everyone else either.  (That said and as an aside, there are people and companies with years of experience and internal databases and sample libraries containing their top ideas on best items and practices, and I’d really like to encourage these folks to share as much as they possibly can, as widely as they can.  There are companies and universities which have built more green buildings than whole countries.  That information could be providing such a global benefit if shared and widely.)  

It also helps if we take risks.  I’ve written some pieces where I feel almost silly, like I am the only one who can’t find all sustainable lumber for my small project, or can’t get my mini split compressor out of the snow well enough on the platform the installer provided, and then I have felt so gratified when someone writes back that they faced the same challenge, and also at times here's how they solved it.  Heck, years after I wrote about that compressor, we’re moving our mini split to a better location.  And, I kept some of what was shared with me in mind.  

We get some of or even more than we give back when we’re communicating. A risk of not being open to conversation you don’t think you agree with is living in an echo chamber, talking to the same people, and getting maybe the same information and news.  In a fairly isolated space, there’s a risk also we can’t as easily meet or exceed whatever goals we’re setting.  You don’t have to agree with people you’re debating, but it’s a natural effect that people who are listening can at least understand other perspective better and work with people better who have different perspectives.  Shouting at people or just complaining doesn’t make progress for industry or planet, but questioning and thinking is great for progress.  

Again, we can disagree.  Constructive criticism and debate actually shows some care.  Ask questions, really of everyone.  Try multiple information sources, learn as much as you can, question everything, and call misleading information when you see it.  My big ask is just not to walk away from the table. I know I am excited to see and hear what you have to say, whether we agree on most things or anything, or not.  

Image: City of Milwaukee 
(They're not fighting, but it was a fun image for this piece!) 

Please be kind and respectful!

Please make sure to be respectful of the organizations and companies, and other Rate It Green members that make up our community. We welcome praise and advice and even criticism but all posted content and ratings should be constructive in nature. For guidance on what constitutes suitable content on the Rate It Green site, please refer to the User Agreement and Site Rules.

The opinions, comments, ratings and all content posted by member on the Rate It Green website are the comments and opinions of the individual members who posts them only and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies or policies of Rate It Green. Rate It Green Team Members will monitor posted content for unsuitable content, but we also ask for the participation of community members in helping to keep the site a comfortable and open public forum of ideas. Please email all questions and concerns to admin@rateitgreen.com