Green Building Community

Climate Change, Part 4: It’s All About the Straws, Isn’t It?

Posted by: GreenCE Sustainable Design and Construction // Sustainable Content Creator at GreenCE

I have been writing off and on about Bill Gates’ October 2018 post regarding climate change. Initially, I was interested in what he had to say because I was surprised to find out how much of an impact manufacturing has on climate change. Previously, I didn’t draw a strong connection between sustainable building and climate change, but the more I researched what Gates wrote, the more I saw how much intersectionality there is within the world of sustainability. In fact, I was surprised to learn that what I thought I knew about climate change wasn’t necessarily the whole truth.

Previous blog posts in this series focused on the big three—manufacturing, agriculture, and electricity. Depending on what report you’re reading, these trade position and percentage of ownership in the climate change race, but they usually always hold the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd spots. What surprised me is that they beat out what I thought would be the front runner—transportation—which claimed spot 4 on Gates’ list. According to him, transportation only contributes 14% to greenhouse gas emissions and climate change; however, according to an article on the Environmental Protection Agency’s website, that number can hit as high as 27%. I thought with all the focus on CO2 emissions from cars and alternative transportation modes such as electric cars, bikes, mass transit, and carpooling, that transportation would take the top spot. Further, I thought the issue was basically cars, and I was wrong.

Read the entire post and join the discussion here: https://www.greence.com/Spec_Shaman/Climate-Change-Part-4

Please be kind and respectful!

Please make sure to be respectful of the organizations and companies, and other Rate It Green members that make up our community. We welcome praise and advice and even criticism but all posted content and ratings should be constructive in nature. For guidance on what constitutes suitable content on the Rate It Green site, please refer to the User Agreement and Site Rules.

The opinions, comments, ratings and all content posted by member on the Rate It Green website are the comments and opinions of the individual members who posts them only and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies or policies of Rate It Green. Rate It Green Team Members will monitor posted content for unsuitable content, but we also ask for the participation of community members in helping to keep the site a comfortable and open public forum of ideas. Please email all questions and concerns to admin@rateitgreen.com