Green Building Community

use of linoleum flooring in bathrooms

Christine O. 0 Ratings 1 Discussions 0 Group posts

Posted by: Christine O. // green consumer

Does anyone have any practical experience with linoleum, such as Marmoleum, in a bathroom? The general contractor with whom I spoke advised against it since it is water resistant rather than waterproof. The manufacturer says that it should be fine as long as spills are dispatched quickly.

Marla Edmond , OK, united-states 0 Ratings 1 Discussions 0 Group posts

Marla // Green Home Coach

Christine, I don't have any practical experience with linoleum, yet I did go peruse some chats about the topic. From what I put together from the chats - it depends. The sheet product has fewer seams therefore fewer places for water to get through. You may also want to consider who is using the bath - it may not be the best choice for a bath primarily used by children who may splash more, etc. Check out these chats and info to learn more. http://www.marmoleumclique.com/forbo-faqs/
https://greengoodsusa.com/blog/2017/06/01/marmoleum-can-i-install-this-in-my-bathroom/
http://www.greenbuildingsupply.com/All-Products/Click/Forbo-Marmoleum-Click
Hope this helps. Marla

Christine O. // green consumer

Dear Marla,

Thank you for finding those sites for me. I will look at them. It just seems interesting that linoleum was a technology used for generations and I wondered if many contractors are just unfamiliar with it, being used to installing vinyl flooring or other materials. I very much appreciate your reply.

Sincerely,
Christine

On: 10/20/2017 Marla wrote:

Christine, I don't have any practical experience with linoleum, yet I did go peruse some chats about the topic. From what I put together from the chats - it depends. The sheet product has fewer seams therefore fewer places for water to get through…

Allison Friedman Weston, MA, united-states 0 Ratings 101 Discussions 131 Group posts

Allison Friedman // Rate It Green Admin

You raise good point Christine, as linoleum has been long used in kitchens and baths, but I think there are also historically different types of linoleum, or maybe some inaccurate labeling in the past?

From wikpedia: "Linoleum, also called Lino, is a floor covering made from renewable materials such as solidified linseed oil (linoxyn), pine rosin, ground cork dust, wood flour..."

I think in the past some of what was called linoleum previously was actually vinyl or plastic? Real linoleum is more environmentally friendly and safer. I think old reputations for the material have made its resurgence take a little longer, but I hear great things.

This piece is positive, http://www.diynetwork.com/how-to/rooms-and-spaces/floors/the-pros-and-cons-of-linoleum-flooring, but it makes me think also about looking into what a protective coating may be made of, or what types of glues may be used in installation. There is so much more always to know.

On: 10/22/2017 Christine O. wrote:

Dear Marla, Thank you for finding those sites for me. I will look at them. It just seems interesting that linoleum was a technology used for generations and I wondered if many contractors are just unfamiliar with it, being used to installing vi…

Hi, Allison.

It turns out that that article is not at that url now. The only other mention I find of linoleum on the diynetwork website gives only generic, casual comments.

Are there any contractors or home owners out there who can share their experience with using Armstrong Marmorette or Forbo Marmoleum products? Your input is very much appreciated. Christine

On: 10/23/2017 Allison Friedman wrote:

You raise good point Christine, as linoleum has been long used in kitchens and baths, but I think there are also historically different types of linoleum, or maybe some inaccurate labeling in the past? From wikpedia: "Linoleum, also called Lino, i…

Allison Friedman Weston, MA, united-states 0 Ratings 101 Discussions 131 Group posts

Allison Friedman // Rate It Green Admin

Oh sorry, Christine - Try the address without the silly comma I added at the end. Oops! I hope someone will share their experience!

On: 10/24/2017 Christine O. wrote:

Hi, Allison. It turns out that that article is not at that url now. The only other mention I find of linoleum on the diynetwork website gives only generic, casual comments. Are there any contractors or home owners out there who can share their e…

Thank you! That worked. For some reason yesterday after I failed with the url I checked the DIY Network site and tried to search
thoroughly, I couldn't find it.

On: 10/24/2017 Allison Friedman wrote:

Oh sorry, Christine - Try the address without the silly comma I added at the end. Oops! I hope someone will share their experience!

Please be kind and respectful!

Please make sure to be respectful of the organizations and companies, and other Rate It Green members that make up our community. We welcome praise and advice and even criticism but all posted content and ratings should be constructive in nature. For guidance on what constitutes suitable content on the Rate It Green site, please refer to the User Agreement and Site Rules.

The opinions, comments, ratings and all content posted by member on the Rate It Green website are the comments and opinions of the individual members who posts them only and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies or policies of Rate It Green. Rate It Green Team Members will monitor posted content for unsuitable content, but we also ask for the participation of community members in helping to keep the site a comfortable and open public forum of ideas. Please email all questions and concerns to admin@rateitgreen.com