Green Building Community

Eco Neighborhoods: Milwaukee Wisconsin’s Sustainability Toolkit

Eileen Flynn MA, United States 0 Ratings 11 Discussions 0 Group posts

Posted by: Eileen Flynn // Student

Eco Neighborhoods

Milwaukee Wisconsin has brought teamwork to their sustainability campaign. Milwaukee’s Environmental Collaboration Office has developed an Eco-Neighborhoods Toolkit to help make the process of becoming a green city even easier. On the Official website of Milwaukee, the city lists five easy steps a city must take to be listed as an Eco-Neighborhood. 1. Assemble a team of four community members committed to being Sustainability Ambassadors. 2. Complete three neighborhood beautification projects with your neighborhood community (examples include: community garden installation, rain garden installation, tree planting day, rain barrel painting & installation event, etc.). 3. Host two Me2 information sessions and two Me2 house parties in your neighborhood. The Toolkit explains exactly what a Me2 meeting consists of, however, Me2 is an organization that helps make energy-saving more affordable and more simple. 4. Host three sustainable community events 5. Complete these previously listed requirements over the span of a year. Milwaukee has put together an Eco Neighborhood Toolkit to help explain these steps and act as a helpful resource for other cities. The kit is broken down into different sustainability categories: solar energy, home energy efficiency, recycling, land care, rain gardens, water and mobility. The kit provides definitions and also organizations that the city has partnered with for help. Milwaukee is a perfect example of a city working together to achieve their sustainability goals. Is your city next? For more information on this toolkit, visit this link : http://city.milwaukee.gov/ImageLibrary/BBC/images/ECO_Toolkit_WEB.pdf For more information on Milwaukee’s Environmental Collaboration Office, visit this link : https://city.milwaukee.gov/homegrownmilwaukee/ECO-Neighborhoods.htm#.W1vdny2ZM3g

Please be kind and respectful!

Please make sure to be respectful of the organizations and companies, and other Rate It Green members that make up our community. We welcome praise and advice and even criticism but all posted content and ratings should be constructive in nature. For guidance on what constitutes suitable content on the Rate It Green site, please refer to the User Agreement and Site Rules.

The opinions, comments, ratings and all content posted by member on the Rate It Green website are the comments and opinions of the individual members who posts them only and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies or policies of Rate It Green. Rate It Green Team Members will monitor posted content for unsuitable content, but we also ask for the participation of community members in helping to keep the site a comfortable and open public forum of ideas. Please email all questions and concerns to admin@rateitgreen.com