Green Building Community

France Declares All New Rooftops Must Be Topped With Plants Or Solar Panels

Chelsea W. NY, United States 0 Ratings 4 Discussions 12 Group posts

Posted by: Chelsea W. // Student

French environmentalists cheered as France passed a law mandating all new buildings being built in commercial zones must be partially covered in either plants or solar panels. This law will stimulate the trend of "green roofs" that provide multiple benefits for both the building they are stationed on and for the environment. These roofs help regulate temperatures on the building and lowers heating/cooling costs. They also capture and retain runoff water while providing a place for birds to live in an urban landscape. How can laws like this be implemented in other places like North America? Read the article and then comment below!

http://csglobe.com/france-declares-all-new-rooftops-must-be-topped-with-plants-or-solar-panels/

Steven_Spicer Haverhill, MA, united-states 0 Ratings 0 Discussions 0 Group posts

Steven_Spicer

This was a great article! Thanks for sharing!

I only wish we implement similar laws before our pollution gets much worse! I'll have to add France to my GreenBuilding Destinations right up there with Seattle and Portland!

Look at this list of the top 10 Green Cities in the US, Boston ranks high

http://www.mnn.com/health/allergies/photos/top-10-green-us-cities/1-portland-ore

Chelsea W. Roslyn Heights, NY, united-states 0 Ratings 4 Discussions 12 Group posts

Chelsea W. // Student

Very cool article Steven! When you categorize the Greenest Cities, you notice most of them are on the West Coast. I wonder why that is. Just from the brief descriptions it sounds like having dedicated bike lanes is a huge contributor. Also, many of these cities have a food related contributor like either being vegetarian friendly or promoting composting. Now if we could just get more cities to adapt these strategies!

On: 05/27/2015 Steven_Spicer wrote:

This was a great article! Thanks for sharing! I only wish we implement similar laws before our pollution gets much worse! I'll have to add France to my GreenBuilding Destinations right up there with Seattle and Portland! Look at this list of the…

Jason L. Clemmons, NC, united-states 1 Ratings 1 Discussions 0 Group posts

Jason L. // LEED AP O+M

Thank you for sharing! So many are unaware all of the elements that make a city, product, or service green or sustainable.

Please be kind and respectful!

Please make sure to be respectful of the organizations and companies, and other Rate It Green members that make up our community. We welcome praise and advice and even criticism but all posted content and ratings should be constructive in nature. For guidance on what constitutes suitable content on the Rate It Green site, please refer to the User Agreement and Site Rules.

The opinions, comments, ratings and all content posted by member on the Rate It Green website are the comments and opinions of the individual members who posts them only and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies or policies of Rate It Green. Rate It Green Team Members will monitor posted content for unsuitable content, but we also ask for the participation of community members in helping to keep the site a comfortable and open public forum of ideas. Please email all questions and concerns to admin@rateitgreen.com