Green Building Community

Made In the USA

Allison Friedman MA, United States 0 Ratings 101 Discussions 131 Group posts

Posted by: Allison Friedman // Rate It Green Admin

I would love to hear from people and companies currently involved in the #madeinmmerica movement/program. I remember (kind of cheesy) commercials about this long ago, and then the momentum seemed to disappear. That seems unfortunate- #MadeIntheUSA should be cool. I started seeing the labels again on some items a few years ago, and I thought, "Oh yes, where has that been?" It seems like such an obvious, great idea!

I believe more local manufacturing is great for jobs and the economy, and it's more environmentally friendly to avoid shipping can skip and save. I am excited to see how this will work as we shift to a more sustainable economy - there should be tremendous opportunity for all.

Is "MadeIntheUSA" back? Was the concept ever gone? What are your experiences as a consumer or producer?

Jonathan Cabinet Representative Midlothian, VA, united-states 2 Ratings 1 Discussions 0 Group posts

Jonathan Cabinet Representative // Sustainable American manufacturing proponent

I'm seeing a resurgence. Local dealers looking for cabinetry made in America vs all the imports. Worried for not only the economy but also for health- better regulations for the factory workers, better testing on the products, and without the international shipping (many times shipping products to china to be made and then back) it's better for the environment to source domestically. The pushback is always price. I see chinese products at 1/2 the cost with similar options and decent quality...some are willing to pay more and I chose to represent companies that are made in america-not companies that import everything.

Allison Friedman Weston, MA, united-states 0 Ratings 101 Discussions 131 Group posts

Allison Friedman // Rate It Green Admin

Jonathan - When it comes to health and indoor air quality, I would imagine that most people would choose better air, even for an additional cost. Because health consequences have costs to us as people and as a population, too. But most people don't know the right questions to ask, and I think some people don't even know the risks of what they might be making or selling at times. I asked for the eco option for some shelving at a premium from a closet company once, and they "forgot." They redid the shelves but then I also worried that was an eco waste, too.

When I look for an eco friendly product, I do hope it can be priced well and remain durable and reliable, and look super. This is how these products will have to compete for us to move green to the mainstream. I do hope that price premiums are coming down and I know many products don't have premiums any more, especially if we consider other factors, including efficiency w some products. But there are also some serious socioeconomic issues here. We must work on affordability. Or at least, we must really be able to trust these green and local products to be the best and healthiest options, so we can focus on any additional cost being worth it - and maybe we can also subsidize eco options if and when there's a premium. Again, there are hidden costs, so we must support these products if they in fact deliver n all the other attributes.

On: 06/04/2015 Jonathan Cabinet Representative wrote:

I'm seeing a resurgence. Local dealers looking for cabinetry made in America vs all the imports. Worried for not only the economy but also for health- better regulations for the factory workers, better testing on the products, and without the inter…

Please be kind and respectful!

Please make sure to be respectful of the organizations and companies, and other Rate It Green members that make up our community. We welcome praise and advice and even criticism but all posted content and ratings should be constructive in nature. For guidance on what constitutes suitable content on the Rate It Green site, please refer to the User Agreement and Site Rules.

The opinions, comments, ratings and all content posted by member on the Rate It Green website are the comments and opinions of the individual members who posts them only and do not necessarily reflect the views or policies or policies of Rate It Green. Rate It Green Team Members will monitor posted content for unsuitable content, but we also ask for the participation of community members in helping to keep the site a comfortable and open public forum of ideas. Please email all questions and concerns to admin@rateitgreen.com