Rate It Green is a peer-review directory, resource, and network for sharing information about green building. Our goal is to facilitate conversations to support further industry growth, help increase industry confidence and openness, and to offer a place for community building.
About Rate It Green
Rate It Green (www.rateitgreen.com) was inspired in large part by a struggle to find the information needed to make sensible and relatively quick green decisions for a project several years ago. Put simply, it wasn't easy being green at the time, and we did not really succeed. We installed green items here and there, but the project got away from us, and information was just too hard to find at all, and especially in a timely manner. Products had to come from too far away, or they didn't have the design or look we wanted, and the performance of the products we used varied widely. The result was a costly trial and error experiment we felt we could have avoided if we had just known more in advance. From this difficult situation came a determination to help those that followed have an easier time.
We are all wasting too much time and effort, and materials trying to figure out what will work on our projects, when we could be talking to each other and sharing critical information. I wanted advice from people who had "been there" and who could share what they knew about various products and services. I wanted a place where people could ask questions and also read about the products and services. And finally, I felt there should be a trusted resource where manufacturers and service providers could post information and ask for critical feedback.
Our hope is that Rate It Green will help newcomers and experts alike discover new products and learn the pros and cons about existing materials and services from those who have actually worked with and used them. Everyone interested in green building is welcome to browse, or join the community and become an active participant – Individual Membership and Basic Corporate Listings are free of charge. We're gathering manufacturers, service providers, consumers, and both residential and commercial builders. Everyone has a story to share, or a question to ask. And through this network, we can all help each other spend less time experimenting and researching, and more time building green more confidently. Rate It Green also periodically publishes Green Building 101, a directory of over 1000 green building industry information resources. Contact us to support this research.
Those of us working on Rate It Green are very excited that with our recent total site "renovation", this resource is now ready to support green builders through a comprehensive directory, ratings system, and open network where we can host countless conversations on any green building topic. This resource will be as strong as the time and energy our Members are willing to invest in themselves, in others, and in the community at large. We look forward to watching listings, ratings/reviews , and conversations grow.
We're aiming to create the largest directory of green building products and services out there and to become THE place to talk to others about green building on the web. We look forward to meeting these goals with your participation and support. Ask questions, review products and services, and offer your advice!
What questions do Rate It Green Members want to explore?
Rate It Green members appreciate and are excited by great design and exceptional products. We also share a concern about the health of our planet. Current building trends in energy and resource consumption are simply not sustainable. We believe that we can and should do better. Questions our members want to explore include:
- Which green solutions are superior, and which need improvement?
- Which products are manufactured more responsibly?
- Which products are the easiest and safest to install and use?
- Which products can be recycled or reclaimed efficiently?
- Which service providers come highly recommended?
- Which products and services are the most cost effective?
In sum, what do people shopping for more sustainable products need to know? And, how can we each do our part to increase the momentum of the green building movement, as well as help manufacturers and service providers know what they can do better?
How can I get involved? How can my company get involved?
There are many ways to get involved and to support the Rate It Green community. While sponsorship and advertising are greatly appreciated, the fact is that many forms of participation are free of charge. Top ways individuals can get involved include:
- Registering and becoming a Community Member
- Posting ratings/testimonials about products and services you have worked with
- Asking and answering questions in our Discussions and Groups
- Telling friends and colleagues about Rate It Green!
- Sharing your expertise, and becoming an Advisory Member (moderating forums, answering member questions, etc.)
- Send us feedback and suggestions any time!
Companies can also support Rate It Green in a variety of ways:
- Registering and creating a company profile
- Adding products and services in the directory/database
- Inviting clients to provide ratings/testimonials for your company
- Encouraging other companies and colleagues to get involved
- Rate/Review other companies you have worked with
- Become an active in Discussions and Groups
- Become active as Individual as well as Corporate Members
- Share your company's expertise in some way (comments, feedback, side moderation, and beyond!)
Together we can make better design and purchasing decisions. We invite you to join our community and help us all buy green products and services more confidently. Thank you for your interest in Rate It Green. Are you interested in exploring Sponsorship or Marketing opportunities with Rate It Green? Contact us at email@example.com or call Allison Friedman at (617) 686-8977.